Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I had the opportunity to visit with some of my 'dear friends', the Stanleys last night. I just love them. The name of my blog came from a book that they gave me for my birthday that chronicles the life of a woman named Rachel Corrie, who ultimately gave her life for a cause she believed in. Her story is one of pain and frustration with her world, and the knowledge that she was intended for something bigger.



I just wanted to share the entry from the book that lends itself to the title of her book as well as my blog.



"If the words I use buzz away from my lips meaninglessly, then we'll let them hang in the air for a while. We'll let those silly words sit and make fools of themselves until other words come and crowd around them.

I need to flutter and hover and look at the diamond ripples through six swirled insect eyes. Just don't touch me for a moment. Let me sit and stare at everything through my own eyes for a while. Let me dance in the lily petals and skim the trembling water and buzz like useless words in the air.

Do you understand? Let me lie on my back in tall grass and see the sun and the water droplets on the branches and the red tree trunks through my own eyes. Let me color them and build them with my own words. Lonely, strong words. Let me stand alone at the edge of the earth and look at it honestly, alone." -rachel corrie


I just think these words are beautiful and inspiring.


I also bought a sweet sleeping bag today, and learned way more than I ever wanted to know about sleeping bags in general.


I made my travel plans for leaving Houston, and I will be flying out August 17 at 7:25 am. Gross. I doubt that I will sleep much, if any, the night before. Basically out of sheer excitement. But that is still early. I fly to Philadelphia, and I'll stay for 3 days. Then we fly from New York to Frankfurt to Almaty. I think it's something like 14 hours. Ridiculous.


And I'm 30 days away!

1 comment:

Jacey said...

That is a beautiful passage, and it makes me think of how mom and I (and especially I) never let you speak when you were little. I'm sorry for that.

Thanks for sharing that.